Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Real service!

There is constant talk about 'customer service' no matter where you turn. As a business coach, i am constantly reminding my clients about customer service within their business'. But what is service? Ask this question, and you will hear a million different answers. The way I sum it up is simple - customer service is whatever the customer thinks it is. Whatever they don't expect - in a good way! I have a great example to share. I was in Subway the other day ordering a vege wrap (yes I am a vegetarian - but the sandwich maker didn't know that). She was making my wrap - and my partners Italian BMT (covered in meat!). She actually asked me, if I wanted her to change gloves after handling the meat! THAT'S SERVICE! It is something that I didn't expect, it was over and above 95% of experiences I have had like this (I have been offered a chicken sandwich when asking for a vege option!).

That's what customer service is. It has gone far beyond 'service with a smile' - we still need to do this, but customer service these days is far exceeding the expectation of the customer. I fully expect to be greeted nicely, served promptly, without fuss - so when I get this service, I'm not dazzled - I am merely satisfied.

Are you dazzling your customers? Or merely satisfying them?

Check out my other blog - letstalksmartbusiness.blogspot.com for my regular business blog.

tjk

1 comment: