Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Consistency - do you deliver?

Consistency - do you deliver?
In all business' there basic tasks and functions that we do on a regular basis. We need to ensure that each member of our team, is consistent in delivering the experience of our business. By designing an experience for our clients we offer several benefits. Comfort. Human beings thrive on comfort - we all have favourite restaurants, chairs, beaches or holiday spots - why? Because there is a sense of security in familiarity. When we know what something is going to be like - we feel 'warm and fuzzy'.

I have a petrol station near my home. It is a locally owned business, and they offer 'good old fashioned' service. They pump the fuel for you, and as an added bonus, they have a prize draw each month for $50 worth of fuel - no cost to enter - if you purchase fuel, you get a ticket. Its great, when I first went there I made the decision to make that "my petrol station". So I go out of my way, past another petrol station, and away from where I am heading (90% of the time I head north up the highway, and this petrol station is south), because of all these great benefits, and I like to support locals. 6 months down the track and I don't think I have received consistent service once. There are 3 attendants that work there. The older man always pumps the fuel, and gives me a ticket, the young boy often pumps the fuel and sometimes gives me a ticket, the lady always pumps the fuel and never gives me a ticket. Yesterday I pull in, and the older man is having a smoke and talking to one of his mates - he doesn't pump the fuel, and he doesn't give me a ticket. So I leave, disappointed. And the funny thing is I realise that I would rather go to the other petrol station, and get consistently average service, than go to the "good service" petrol station and get disappointed.

So are your team members on board with the service experience that you want to deliver? For example - does your business provide a service for children? If so, are all of your staff walking around talking to the kids like the wiggles - or a half of them doing that, and the other half 'boring'. Because parents want their kids to get the same experience every time. Decide the atmosphere that you want to portray (professional, fun, serious, exciting) and make a few rules and guidelines (consistencies) for your team to follow.
Here's to a great week in business. Tanja

No comments:

Post a Comment